Building Permit Fees
Building Permit Fees may be paid by cash, cheque, debit card, Visa or MasterCard.
- Payment by Visa, MasterCard or Amex is limited to a maximum of $20,000.00. Any balance of payment may be paid by cash, cheque, or debit card
- Payment by personal or company cheque that is less than $2,000.00 must be certified.
- Payment of any applicable Parkland Dedication, Development Charges, Educational Development Charges, or Planning Benefits, including other development related fees, must be made in person and paid by certified cheque only.
- All cheques are to be made payable to: “The Treasurer – City of Toronto.”
- No permit will be issued until all fees are paid. However, for projects with fees greater than $20,000, a partial permit for excavation and shoring may be issued if the required deposit is made on the building permit fee.
Payments by Phone
To use the Toronto Building Fee Payment Line service, please call 416-397-5222.
Before you make your call:
- Review the Accepted Methods of Payment (above)
- Ensure that you are the authorized cardholder
- Be prepared to provide an email address along with the application folder number (i.e., 13-123456 ABC 00) for which you are paying
Toronto Building will process the payment for the authorized credit card holder and he/she will receive a receipt by email.
Permit fee Calculations
Permit fees shall be calculated based on the formula given below unless otherwise specified in this schedule:
Minimum fee of $198.59 (2018) shall be charged for all work.
An hourly fee $85.79 (2018) shall be charged for examination and inspection activities.
Fee Calculation Formula:
- Permit fee = SI x A
- SI = Service Index for classification of proposed work
- A = Floor area in m2 of work involved of work involved